Training / Study Habits

Meet the Trainer: Shawn Powers

by Team Nuggets
Meet the Trainer: Shawn Powers picture: A
Published on March 16, 2012

Shawn "Super" Powers does his best Wolverine impression.

State: I live in the northern part of Michigan's lower peninsula. In fact, if you look at your right hand, palm facing you, it is roughly the same shape as Michigan. I live near the tip of your middle finger. 🙂

Professional: Linux expert, CCNA

With CBT since: 2009

When I'm not making CBT Nuggets videos, you'll find me… usually at work. I'm the technology director for a K-12 school here in Michigan. Our school has roughly 50% Linux thin clients and 50% Macintosh workstations. It's my job to make sure they all work and play nicely together. (Note: As of August 2012, Shawn is now Assistant Director of Database Services at Cornerstone University.)

I'm also a writer and editor for Linux Journal. That basically means you'll find me in front of a computer monitor 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time I'm drinking tea or tweeting something silly on Twitter. Oh, and I sleep sometimes too.

Favorite Nugget: In the first LPIC-1 test series, there is a Nugget explaining IP subnetting. When I used to teach a CCNA class to high school students, that was always my favorite topic to teach. It was fun for that Nugget as well, because I could picture the "Aha!" moment my students would experience when they finally understood subnetting. (It's a confusing subject, but really cool when you get it.)

 

The best part about being a trainer is… that I know the people watching really want to learn. That's not always the case with high school students, so when I know my audience is as excited about the subject matter as I am, it's hard not to love it!

I'm passionate about IT training because… when I started in the IT industry, Linux and networking were mystical voodoo topics that only nerds understood. Granted I was one of those nerds, but now it's a thriving industry and computer classes are a dime a dozen at colleges. I like the CBT style training because it's nerds teaching nerds. The trainers aren't just people reading curriculum from a book, we're the nerds in the trenches. That sort of personal training is priceless, and something hard to find in a traditional classroom setting.

Watch the first video of "Linux in the Real World," Shawn's new user-directed series!

See all Shawn's videos here!


Download

Download

Ultimate Networking Cert Guide

A 97-page guide to every Cisco, Juniper, F5, and NetApp certification, and how they fit into your career.

By submitting this form you agree that you have read, understood, and are able to consent to our privacy policy.


Don't Miss Out

Get great content delivered to your inbox.

I have read and understood the privacy policy, and am able to consent to it.

Recommended Articles

Get CBT Nuggets IT training news and resources

I have read and understood the privacy policy and am able to consent to it.

© 2022 CBT Nuggets. All rights reserved.Terms | Privacy Policy | Accessibility | Sitemap | 2850 Crescent Avenue, Eugene, OR 97408 | 541-284-5522