| new skills - Team Nuggets
New Training: Windows 10 Deployment Tools
In this 10-video skill, CBT Nuggets trainer James Conrad teaches you how to use several tools to deploy and modify Windows 10. Watch this new Windows 10 training.
Watch the full course: Microsoft Windows 10
This training includes:
- 10 videos
- 1.3 hours of training
You’ll learn these topics in this skill:
- Assessment and Deployment Kit
- Deployment and Image Servicing Management Lab
- Windows System Image Manager Lab
- User State Migration Tool Overview
- User State Migration Tools – Lab
- Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer Overview
- Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer Lab
- Windows Deployment Services Overview
- Windows Deployment Services Requirements
- Windows Deployment Services Lab
How the User State Migration Tool Can Help Deploy a Large Number of Users
Migrating Windows users can be daunting and time consuming and the User State Migration Tool (USMT) streamlines the entire process. USMT captures application and O/S settings, accounts and even files, then moves them to a new machine. USMT supports various scenarios like a PC-Refresh or PC-Replacement.
A PC-refresh acts as a temporary placeholder for all user settings while the source machine gets updated. Once the update is complete, the stored settings can then be re-applied. PC-replacement handles the situation where the hardware is getting replaced and all settings are simply migrated to the new machine.
USMT saves time, money and increases employee satisfaction with the process. Having a large migration done through USMT virtually eliminates manual intervention and possible errors. It does, however, have some limitations that must be taken into consideration prior to jumping into any migration. One note: USMT isn't recommend for the following scenarios:
- Any process that requires user input.
- Any process that requires machine by machine configuration
USMT is best suited for bulk actions with many machines that are fairly identical to each other.