| new skills - Team Nuggets
New Training: Plan for Messaging at AWS
In this 9-video skill, CBT Nuggets trainer Bart Castle teaches you how to apply best-practice asynchronous messaging principals and design messaging solutions by using AWS-managed services like the Simple Queue and Notification Services. Gain an understanding of polling-retrieval, push messaging, and stream messaging solutions. Watch this new AWS training.
Learn AWS with one of these courses:
This training includes:
- 9 videos
- 53 minutes of training
You’ll learn these topics in this skill:
- Messaging for Distributed Applications
- Synchronous Messaging Problems
- Asynchronous Messaging Solutions
- Planning for Queuing: SQS Producers
- Planning for Queuing: SQS Queues
- Planning for Queuing: SQS Consumers
- Planning for Push Messaging: SNS Topics
- Planning for Push Messaging: SNS Subscriptions
- Open Source and Streaming Messaging Options
What is Amazon SNS (Simple Notification Service)?
Amazon SNS (Simple Notification Service) is a push notification service from AWS for sending messages to large numbers of users. With SNS, you can send push notifications to mobile devices, email addresses and other distributed services. SNS is what is known as a distributed publish-subscribe system. Publishers send messages to SNS, which in turn pushes them to subscribers.
SNS supports a number of protocols, including:
- Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose
- Amazon SQS
- AWS Lambda
- Mobile push notifications
- Short message service (SMS)
SNS employs a number of strategies to ensure message durability. First, it stores published messages across multiple servers and data centers, which are geographically separated. It also executes a delivery retry policy when subscribed endpoints are not available, and it allows you to create a dead-letter queue to preserve messages that don't get delivered.
SNS is one of two messaging services that AWS offers, with the other being Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS).