| new skills - Team Nuggets
New Training: The Cisco Phone Bootup Process
In this 5-video skill, CBT Nuggets trainer Lalo Nunez covers the phone boot process, starting with the phone being plugged in and ending with it being registered to Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
This Skill is for anyone that works with Cisco Unified Communications Manager. Learners should have some intermediate knowledge of CUCM. Watch this new Cisco training.
Learn Cisco with one of these courses:
This training includes:
- 5 videos
- 27 minutes of training
You’ll learn these topics in this skill:
- Intro: Phone Bootup Process
- The Phone Boot Process
- Examine the Phone Config File
- Phone Restart vs Reset
- Gathering Info from the phone
5 Steps of a Successful Cisco Phone Bootup Process
The Cisco IP phone is a Phone over Ethernet device that allows users to connect their Cisco Phone to a computer to facilitate internet-based calling through a softphone application.
Every time a Cisco phone boots it goes through five steps: power-up, connecting to the Voice VLAN, requesting an IP address, sending a config file from the Call Manager Service, and registering with the Call Manager. Let's take a look at a high-level overview of these steps:
- The Powerup: The Cisco Phone must be powered on and connected to a network switch that supports Power over Ethernet or PoE
- Connecting to the Voice VLAN: The connection is detected and CDP sends Voice VLAN information to the phone
- Requesting an IP Address: Cisco IP Phone sends a DHCP request and receives DHCP acknowledgment
- Firmware/Config File sent from Call Manager Service: Firmware/config sent to Call Manager Service to establish a connection with CMS.
- Register with Call Manager: Once a connection has been established and firmware/config updated the Cisco IP Phone will be registered and ready for use.
Understanding this bootup process will not only help users connect and initialize their Cisco IP Phone for the first time but also debug any connectivity issues that may arise while using the PoE phone.