| new skills - Team Nuggets
New Training: Configure SharePoint Security Settings
In this 9-video skill, CBT Nuggets trainer Jacob Moran covers the security options available in SharePoint and teaches you how to configure them correctly. Watch this new Sharepoint training.
Learn SharePoint with one of these courses:
- All SharePoint 2016
- Managing Microsoft SharePoint Server 2016
This training includes:
- 9 videos
- 55 minutes of training
You’ll learn these topics in this skill:
- SharePoint Security
- Delegating SharePoint Farm and Service Application Administration
- SharePoint Platform and Farm Security
- SharePoint Website Encryption using SSL Certificates
- Understanding SharePoint Access Control
- Configuring SharePoint Access Control
- Using PowerShell to Configure SharePoint Access Control
- SharePoint Information Rights Management (IRM)
- Configuring SharePoint IRM
What is SharePoint Information Rights Management (IRM)?
Information Rights Management (IRM) is a SharePoint feature that lets you control what people can do to documents that they've downloaded from document libraries and lists on SharePoint Online or OneDrive for Business. IRM encrypts documents while limiting which users and which programs can decrypt them. With IRM, you can further do the following:
- Limit the rights of what can be done to a document, such as disabling printing.
- Limit how long users can access a document.
- Determine if Office Web Apps can access a document.
You can apply IRM on individual files, or you can apply it to an entire list or library. When you apply it to a list, it only applies protections to the files attached to the lists and not the actual list items.
Keep in mind that IRM cannot protect documents against malware. Nor can it prevent someone from manually copying what displays on a screen or from taking a screenshot or a photograph of it.