| new skills - Team Nuggets
New Training: Advanced Networking Devices
In this 9-video skill, CBT Nuggets trainer Keith Barker teaches you about advanced networking devices, such as multi-layer switches; intrusion detection systems (IDS) and intrusion prevention systems (IPS); as well as AAA and RADIUS servers. Watch this new CompTIA,Networking training.
Watch the full course: CompTIA Network+
This training includes:
- 9 videos
- 39 minutes of training
You’ll learn these topics in this skill:
- Advanced Networking Devices: Multi-Layer Switch Overview
- Advanced Networking Devices: Configure Multi-Layer Switch: Lab
- Advanced Networking Devices: Load Balancer Overview
- Advanced Networking Devices: IDS and IPS
- Advanced Networking Devices: Proxy Servers and Content Filtering
- Advanced Networking Devices: Security Network Devices
- Advanced Networking Devices: AAA/RADIUS Server
- Advanced Networking Devices: VoIP PBX and Gateway
- Advanced Networking Devices: Wireless Controller
What is A Multilayer Switch?
In the networking environment, a switch is a device that forwards traffic between various devices attached to the network. A traditional switch examines data at the data link layer to push traffic where it needs to go. On the other hand, multilayer switches can make forwarding decisions based on layer 2 or layer 3 of the OSI networking model.
By examining traffic at multiple layers, multilayer switches can be used as both a switch and a router. Likewise, because one device can perform both tasks, it can be more convenient than using two separate devices, a layer 2 switch and a layer 3 router.
Another benefit of using multilayer switches is that they are typically ASIC-based instead of microprocessor-based. That can be a bit of a confusing statement since ASICs also are micro-processor-based. The difference is that an ASIC can be programmed for a specific task where the traditional processor cannot be. For a typical processor, software needs to be developed that targets the capabilities of that processor itself whereas the capabilities of an ASIC can be programmed into it. This can significantly increase the efficiency of the computing system in the device.