Train the Teacher: Free Remote Learning Tips & Resources
The sudden transition from face-to-face to online learning environments for schools hoping to fight the spread of the COVID-19 virus represents a big pedagogical shift for many educators.
For a little more about what we're doing, here's CBT Nuggets trainer Shawn Powers:
To assist educators who were quickly charged with managing online courses, CBT Nuggets is offering free resources that will cover:
- Online learning best practices
- Digital classroom participation tactics
- Technology tips for remote classroom management
- Turning face-to-face lesson plans into online classes
- General best practices and support for working from home
CBT Nuggets has been a leader in online IT education for more than 20 years. These resources distill the decades of experience CBT Nuggets trainers have teaching complex technical topics to learners online.
In addition to the videos, educators participating in the CBT Nuggets' Train the Teacher Program will have access to a Discord server to connect with CBT Nuggets trainers, training coaches, and other educators.
The teach.gg Discord Server
Discord is a community-building communications platform with origins in the gaming industry. It has grown into a full-featured enterprise-level communication tool that's flexible enough to work for our diverse community.
The CBT Nuggets Discord Server features channels for our teach.gg program, so educators and learners alike can get involved. The server has spaces for platform-specific resources, general e-learning resources for educators and parents, and a collection of accessibility resources.
For educators, this gives you a place to connect with like-minded folks to share resources and build online relationships.
Anyone is welcome to join the server at no cost.
Discord works on any web browser and has apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android.
These resources have already been developed (some from us and some from others) and are ready for viewing. Additional resources are being developed and will continue to be added.
Resources we've created:
- Working Remotely as a Team – From the CBT Nuggets blog, this article can help guide you from setting up your team (or classroom) remotely, and then how to effective work together — even miles apart.
- Five Tips for Working from Home – CBT Nuggets trainer Jeremy Cioara has been working remotely for years and has some tips to help you stay engaged and active, even away from the classroom.
- Working from Home: Structuring Your Life for Remote Work – While many people thrive working remotely, it's not for everyone. This article will help you to find ways to restructure your situation for an ideal working environment.
- Kids are at Home…Don’t Freak Out! – Jeremy steps into the journey of starting to “think differently” about how you can continue your kids education at home.
- Getting Started with Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) – CBT Nuggets trainers Jacob Moran put together a guide to help you get setup and start broadcasting to students with OBS.
- How We Helped a School Shift to Remote Classroom in Four Steps – Jeremy walks through the steps he used to enable remote learning for a school district. The example uses Microsoft Teams, and apply to any remote collaboration setup.
- Getting Work Done from Home – Teaching remote may require a change in work routing, and CBT Nuggets trainer Garth Schulte has some tips that have helped him work remotely for years.
Resources others have created:
- The rules of video conferencing at home – CNN
- Microsoft commitment to customers during COVID-19 – Microsoft
- Join or build your own MoodleNet instance – Moodle
- With school closures, teachers can keep their lessons going remotely – Google Blog
- Zoom CEO Eric Yuan Is Giving K-12 Schools His Videoconferencing Tools For Free – Forbes
- YouTube Teach from Home – YouTube
- Learning Keeps Going – International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- Bring TED-Ed Student Talks to Your School – TED
If you'd like to support this initiative in any way or have resources you recommend that we create, please get in touch with us.