| new skills - Team Nuggets
New Training: Build Reproducible Desktop Environments with Amazon WorkSpaces
In this 9-video skill, CBT Nuggets trainer Trevor Sullivan uses Amazon WorkSpaces to deploy cloud-based desktop environments running Linux or Microsoft Windows. Watch this new AWS training.
Watch the full course: AWS Cloud Automation
This training includes:
- 9 videos
- 47 minutes of training
You’ll learn these topics in this skill:
- Introduction to Amazon WorkSpaces
- Create a VPC for Amazon WorkSpaces
- Create an AWS Directory Service Instance for Amazon WorkSpaces
- Deploy an Amazon WorkSpaces Instance via AWS Management Console
- Accessing an Amazon WorkSpace with the Windows Client
- Snapshot Amazon WorkSpaces as Bundles
- Monitor WorkSpaces with Amazon CloudWatch
- Overview of Amazon WorkSpaces APIs
- Review and Call to Action
What is Amazon WorkSpaces?
Amazon WorkSpaces is a service from AWS that lets you provision a virtual Windows or Linux desktop. Unlike with traditional desktops and on-premise VDI (virtual desktop infrastructure) solutions, with WorkSpaces you only pay for the desktops that you actually use. The service also eliminates the need to manage device inventories as well as their operating systems and the patches that are applied to them.
You use the cloud-based virtual desktops much like you use traditional ones. They include an operating system, compute resources, storage space and software applications. You can even integrate them within your existing Active Directory (AD) domain, which allows your users to connect to them through their existing AD credentials. What's more, you can migrate their operating systems with a few clicks.
You connect to the virtual desktops using a client application that is supported on a wide-range of devices. This includes:
- Windows computers
- Mac computers
- Android tablets
- Firefox and Chrome web browsers