- Course info
- Course resources
In this entry-level CompTIA Security+ training, Keith Barker covers the objectives in the SY0-501 exam, which is the one required exam to earn the CompTIA Security+ certification.
The Security+ is well-known and respected among government agencies and companies, and serves as the ideal starting point for anyone looking to get into security. By completing this SY0-501 course, IT professionals will be ready to advance into positions that lead to junior security roles.
For anyone who leads an IT team, this course can be used for Security+ exam prep, on-boarding new security professionals, or even curated to be used as end-user security training.
SY0-501: What You Need to Know
For any security professional using this training for exam preparation, our CompTIA Security+ course maps to the CompTIA SY0-501 exam objectives, and covers topics like:
- Types of malware, such as viruses, ransomware, trojans, spyware, bots, and logic bombs
- Cryptography and public key infrastructures(PKI), such as symmetric algorithms and asymmetric algorithms
- Protocols, such as SSH, FTPS, SFTP, SSL, TLS, and HTTPS
- Firewalls, VPN concentrators, NIPS, NIDS, routers, switches, load balancers, and access points
- Protocol analyzers, network scanners, password crackers, and vulnerability scanners
- Cloud and virtualization, such as hypervisors, SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS
- Identity and access management, such as TACACS+, RADIUS, LDAP, MAC, DAC, and RBAC
- Incident response, disaster recovery, and business continuity
- Types of attacks, such as social engineering, DoS, man-in-the-middle (MITM), and cross-site scripting (XSS)
Who Should Take SY0-501 Training?
This SY0-501 course is valuable for new IT professionals with at least a year of experience with security and experienced security professionals looking to validate their CompTIA skills.
New or aspiring security professionals. This SY0-501 training was designed specifically for new IT professionals and covers a wide range of entry-level security practices. The Security+ is widely respected as an entry-level security certification. Passing the Security+ or even taking this Security+ training will help you move closer to your goal of becoming a security professional. Even if that’s not the route you ultimately decide to take, security should be ingrained in every aspect of IT — and this Security+ training will help you build more secure networks and systems.
Experienced IT professionals. It’s said there’s no such thing as an entry-level security professional. Most security professionals start in support, networking, or systems administration before advancing to their first security role. If that’s the route you’re trying to take, this Security+ training was designed for you, too. The basic terminology may be review for you, but the rest contextualizes the networking and systems concepts you may already know through a security lens. Security+ is a great place to start before attempting more advanced security training.
Skills You'll Learn in this Course
Do you want to remove this course from bookmarked courses?