Editor’s note: This is the latest post in new blog series where we take a deep dive into resources for our projected top IT trends for 2015.
What is it? Though it may seem self-explanatory, if you don’t have experience as a project manager, it can be difficult to pin-point exactly what’s involved in ushering a project from start to finish. Steve Caseley, CBT Nuggets trainer – and project management expert – has a great overview of the role, the necessary skills, and the daily responsibilities of a project manager.
What can I do with it? Project management knowledge, experience, and certifications are a valuable skill for aspiring IT consultants. And, as Steve notes in this Project Management NuggetCast, in a rapidly changing industry like tech, having the capacity to manage projects is a significant career asset.
Where to start: If you are looking to get certified, Steve and Chris Ward’s webinar on project management certifications can help you learn how these certs are structured and decide which to pursue. The Project Management Institute (PMI) offers a number of widely used certifications based on their Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) guidebook. Learn more about the PMBOK, with Steve’s series on updates to the current edition, which includes the details on several elements of project management such as time, communication, cost, and stakeholders.
Our training: Fired up and ready to get training? On our recently revamped site you can easily navigate to a list of all our project management courses. Including:
- PMI Certifications: Steve Caseley’s Project Management Professional and Certified Associate in Project Management course on essential skills for project management prepares you for both the PMP and CAPM exams. If you’re new to project management you may want to start with Chris Ward’s CAPM focused course. Steve’s “Project Management in the Real World” course provides a “day in the life” experience by following a project through its complete lifecycle. If you decide to pursue a PMI cert, you’ll definitely want to take a look at our PMI FAQ forum, to see which courses are approved for PMI Professional Development Units.
- Agile: Our courses on this popular development method include using Jira and Team Foundation Server to support the delivery of Agile projects, as well as opportunities to experience an Agile project as it plays out “in the real world.” If you want to get certified as an Agile practitioner, we have a course that prepares you for the PMI-ACP.
- CompTIA Project+ PK0-003: This training covers project management fundamentals, including project planning, developing project schedules, risk management, project tracking, and more.
- PRINCE2® Foundations: PRINCE2® is a comprehensive, process-driven project management approach widely used in the UK, as well as other countries in Europe and eastern Asia. This course prepares you for the PRINCE2® Foundation exam.
- SCRUM certification: This course provides a comprehensive review of the Scrum development approaches and the knowledge and skills needed to become a Certified Scrum Master.
- Microsoft Project 2013 74- 343: Whether you’re a new project manager or just want a great tool to add to your belt, Steve Caseley’s MSP training will help you improve efficiency. This course covers information for the Microsoft 70-178 exam.
PRINCE2® is a registered trademark of AXELOS Limited.