In order to improve your user experience, we have migrated our production environment to Amazon’s cloud infrastructure. For nearly all of you this changeover will be transparent and seamless. It’s possible, however, that a few of you may experience DNS caching issues. If you fall into this category, don’t worry, you’ll still have full access to all of your training. If you are affected by the DNS cache lag, you’ll see a message stating so at cbtnuggets.com when you try to either buy or use your VLM. Instructions will be posted at that location to help you clear your dns cache, and a workaround if you are bound to a “slow-moving” dns server for your client queries.
Why are we making this change?
Moving our servers into Amazon’s Cloud strengthens the functional components of our infrastructure, while increasing the speed and reliability of our service. All of our existing functionality will remain in place.
How will you benefit?
- Upstream bandwidth for MP3 zips and Nugget Archive Server downloads will increase from a shared 100Mb/s line to Amazon’s S3 infrastructure.
- Average page load times will drop by a factor of 2 to 3 (with load times for most page requests clocking in at under 1 second).
- Faster recovery times in the event of a catastrophic failure
Moving to the cloud also speeds up the deployment pathway for our development team, which you’ll see reflected in the coming months as:
- A more rapid turnaround in new features.
- More platforms supported by our streaming player.
- More training series coming down the pipeline.
- More capability in our streaming player.
In 2011, we’re doubling the size of the development team to ensure that everything goes as planned and that you get the personalized experience you’ve come to expect from us. Thank you for your continuing patronage. We look forward to serving you in 2011 and beyond!
– CBT Nuggets Operations Team